Bingji (Benjamin) Li, Ph.D.
Metal Pass LLC
This talk in the University of Science & Technology Beijing
(USTB), focuses on the methodology, or the art, of learning.
Experiences are shared on how to perform self-training to
become one of the most dynamical multi-national and
multi-disciplinary Talents. Areas covered are mainly the study
of foreign languages (how to improve the spoken ability and
how to memorize new words, etc.), a reversing way to
effectively learn the computer programming, and an effective
method to quickly become expert in one's research field, etc.
With over 30 years of training, the speaker (Top-100 Talent
Plan granted in China) has gained three countries' working
experiences, four languages, and skills on material
engineering, mechanical engineering, software engineering and
industry automation. To be a highly qualified software
engineer, the speaker spent 8 years and completed 30 computer
evening classes. Critical factors for success are to plan
ahead and to brew interest in the things to be done.
USTB is the key school in China in the metallurgical,
especially steel related, industry. The university recently is
forming a special High-Quality Engineer College to deliver
top-quality, multi-disciplinary engineers for steel industry.
Renown academics and success industrial engineers are hired to
be professors. This talk is one of the chain lectures
organized for this program.
II. Four Turning Points
III. Art of Learning
1. Plan 3-5 years ahead
2. Brew interest
3. Pay attention to learning method
4. Know the accumulation process of
IV. Method of Learning
1. Foreign Language
2. Computer Programming
- Example: A reversing way to quickly master computer
programming. Run source - Study Syntax - Memorize program
3. Doing Research
- Select 500 papers in one's research field - Identify 5
to 10 weaknesses for each paper
V. Application of Computer in Industry Especially
1. Off-line Model & Software
- Empirical models (over 100 sets were developed by the
speaker in the past 20 years)
- Numerical Models (FEM, FDM, etc.)
2. Online Model and Software
- Three-Level Automation Systems
- Level 2 System: examples of 6 types of Level 2
- Level 2 Model (e.g. for flat rolling: parameter
prediction & draft schedule creation)
- New-Generation of Level 2 System/Level 2 Model
VI. Multi-National and Multi-Disciplinary Training
1. Review of each county's technical
advantages and disadvantages
2. Steel industry dynamics in major
3. It's culture, not language!
4. Utilization of internet resources in
of the Talk, in Chinese)